Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Week 3: Another week in the MTC


Kumusta Pamillya!
Hey, how are things going?  I just read your email.  Thanks as always for your support and prayers.  I think about you and pray about you every night too.

Anyway this week has gone by so fast…it feels like it was just yesterday I was writing another email.  I think I’m really starting to get the hang of it.  The Tagalog is coming slowly but surely and everyday the spirit is so strong. 

On Tuesday we got another Apostle!  David A Bednar spoke to us about teaching doctrine rather than principles or applications…basically if we teach them the doctrine (the atonement, baptism, word of wisdom, etc.) and they put an honest effort to learn it they can figure out and learn for themselves the principles (ex. Repentance, steps to baptism) and the applications (steps of repentance, what they can or can’t eat or drink in the word of wisdom).   

It was awesome and the MTC has had 4 apostles in a row, which I hear is a record – most being 2 in a row.  I just feel lucky and humbled to be at the MTC.  There really is no better place for me to be than on a mission right now.

The rest of the week was pretty routine. We had a few more "investigators" and we even talked to them for the first 15 minutes or so all in Tagalog. I don't know much but I know how to talk to someone and ask about their family and stuff. It's amazing because 3 weeks ago I couldn't speak  a lick of Tagalog. 
Just really busy all week but Sundays are nice. We have a lot of meetings but we do get to go to the Temple and to choir and watch a movie. We watched The Testaments last night, I don't think I've seen it before and it was really amazing and touching too. I nearly cried. And i never cry... highly recommended if ya haven't seen it in a while. I've got to talk to Jordan Abel a little bit and I saw Butch Hatch a couple times. It's pretty cool seeing buddies in here.
The mail closes early on Saturday and we haven't got any mail on Saturdays or Monday till like 5 so either send me an email or get a dear elder in by Friday at noon. That's the only way I can see it before I write on Monday's again.
That's crazy Jonny is getting married that soon. I didn't know that... He is gonna live sooooo far away!
We have been getting a little bit of snow here but it hasn't stuck. I haven't even had to use the sweaters yet, I've been plenty warm in just the suit jacket. Mom and Dad you were right. Wal-mart watches suck. I had it just one day and it broke. If ya can when ya send a package can ya throw a cheap watch in it? and I heard the Filipinos love to see pics of your family so at some point can you send some wallet size pics of us?
That Pine view game sounded nuts 92 points is crazy and nice work dissin the Spectrum.  They are lousy and that's totally not cool of them to byline your updates to them and bug you at the same time.
My Comp is cool. His name is Elder DeYoung and my roomies are awesome. One of them is Canadian and he is hilarious. Second funniest Canadian ever  -- props to Eddie.

Love
Elder Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment