Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Week 87: Magic ice and Crocs

Dear Family,

Wow time does fly on the wings of lightning. We had another great week and we had a lot great successes. We had quite a few opportunities to share the gospel with some new families and, like Dad always says, it is a truly incredible feeling to teach the gospel and see someone's testimony being born in front of you and to see the people understand the message and believe.

This coming week is transfers and I have no idea what is going to happen. I have been here awhile ...

Oh, some funny things that I've noticed the past couple weeks: Every day, because it's super hot, I freeze a bottle of water overnight and throughout the day drink the water (by about 5 or so it's usually all gone). But so many people are just stymied (how about that for some deep English) when they see it and I've been asked several time how I got such a big piece of ice into such a little bottle -- hehe. I guess it comes from the fact that most people don;t have their own refrigerators and just always buy ice or cold drinks from little stores in people's houses. People sell stuff out of windows of their house. There are usually several stores on every street.

The other funny thing I wanted to tell you: Thanks to Elder Lundy, I was given some black Crocs that I use to work in sometimes (his mom sent him some and the shoes were too big). Anyway, people all the time are like "Woh! Are those original Crocs??!?!?" and I'm like, "Well, they are from America, so probably." "Wow! Sick!" (that's the basic translation). Apparently Crocs are super cool here and if you have original, that's like something amazing. So yeah. By the way, sometimes people say my shoes are like boats as well, just like Mom loves to say. haha

On splits this week I made french toast. It was awesome. I also made pina colada smoothie, which was was awesome as well.

So this week we went to one of our further areas and it's planting season for the rice fields in this particular area and almost all our investigator and members we were hoping to visit were in the fields, so we didn't really have anything else to do other than just start tracting. While tracting, we found this cool compound(group of homes and all the people are pretty much related) and we were able to share our testimonies and give them things to read (we couldn't teach all the men, they were busy planting), but they were really excited for us to come back, so later today we will go and visit them and later all their family members should be home). That same day we also were tracting and ran into a young sister that had been baptized in Manila a few years ago. We were able to teach her and the other people in their house. It just made me think that every person/every soul is really important to God. If our appointments didn't fall through we wouldn't have been able to visit that house or teach to that family. It really for us is super hard when all the appointments fall through but I've seen over and over again that when that happens the Lord has someone else he needs us to visit. It's super humbling to see the Lord direct us to those people and it's super great to know that we can be used by the Lord to visit his children that he loves so much.

So I wanted to say how much I've come to love the Filipino people. They are so awesome. They are kind and loving and receptive to the gospel. They are so humble and even though they live in such hard circumstances they don't complain and are such happy people.They are so generous and will give you the shirt off their backs. I am so grateful to have been called to serve in the Philippines -- they are truly amazing people here.

I love you so much and I am so grateful for the gospel. I know that Jesus Christ lives and that he really did pay for everything. I know that the atonement does fix everything that's unfair about life. I know that if we do what he says, we will find peace and true happiness in this life.

LOVE each and every one you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment